top of page

Carthage Public Library
612 S. Garrison Avenue

The story of the Carthage Public Library began in 1869, when a group of Carthage women came together with a simple but powerful goal: to create a better future for their children through education and access to books.

They formed the Carthage Public Library Association and raised money through entertainment programs and lectures.  Among the notable speakers they hosted was Susan B. Anthony, the nationally recognized women’s rights advocate.

The first permanent public library opened in 1885 on the second floor of the Sewall Building on West 4th Street.  Unfortunately, financial difficulties forced it to close just two and a half years later.  Its books were moved to the Central School Building, where they remained available to the public.

In 1902, Carthage leaders applied for funding from Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate who helped establish nearly 2,500 libraries around the world.  Carnegie awarded Carthage $25,000. a generous gift, but not quite enough for the ambitious library the community envisioned. 

 

A portion of land at Garrison Avenue and 7th Street was purchased from W. E. and Mrs. Hall for half its original price.  The Halls asked that a memorial tablet honoring their daughter Ruth be included in the building.

 

After considering several architectural designs, the Library Committee selected the plan of Frederick Gunn of Kansas City.  Gunn designed an elegant Neoclassical building incorporating French Renaissance and Greek Revival influences.

Construction began in 1904, with the building crafted from smooth-cut Carthage Marble. Its striking features include a copper dome, carved woodwork, and beautiful stained glass. 

The building cost considerably more than Carnegie’s $25,000 gift.  Once again, Carthage residents stepped forward, contributing an additional $20,000 to make sure their library became a reality.

The Carthage Public Library opened on February 2, 1905, following three days of dedication celebrations.  Its collection included more than 3,000 books, including 800 volumes donated by the Carthage High School Library.

More than a century later, the library continues to grow while preserving its historic roots.  In 2007, a 13,486-square-foot addition opened, made possible through a public bond issue and generous private donations.  In 2020, the Steadley Family Legacy Center opened, expanding the library’s educational programs and access to technology, including 3D printers.

What began in 1869 with a group of women determined to give their children greater opportunities has become one of Carthage’s enduring community institutions.

The Carthage Public Library is more than a beautiful historic building. It is the fulfillment of a vision that has connected generations of Carthaginians with books, knowledge, technology, local history, and one another.

FUN FACT:  

A copper box is sealed within the Library’s Cornerstone.  Items contained in the box include:

  • The Centennial Edition of the Carthage Weekly Banner dated July 6, 1876

  • A Carthage souvenir booklet

  • Statements from the Carthage Foundry who helped with the Library’s ironwork

  • An aerial photograph of Carthage taken in 1901

  • A booklet on the founding and history of Carthage’s Public Libraries

  • A catalog of Carthage’s public schools

  • A catalog of the Carthage Collegiate Institute

  • A $20 Confederate Bill

  • A $60 Bill in Continental Currency

  • A picture of then President William McKinley

  • A list of individuals who paid for half the cost of the Library’s plot of land

  • A bound copy of city ordinances 

Carthage Historic Preservation, Inc.

Mailing Address:  P.O. Box 375

Carthage, MO  64836

Phelps House:  1146  Grand Avenue, Carthage

417.358.1776

info@carthagehistoricpreservation.org

bottom of page