301 S. MAIN STREET
Bank of Carthage Building

First Bank of Carthage building

Bank of Carthage 1909

After the Civil War, Carthage’s growing population attracted wealthy entrepreneurs such as Gustavius Cassil, who made his fortune in land speculation. Noticing that the city lacked a bank, and after having to carry large sums of cash personally, Cassil founded the Bank of Carthage in 1868. Located at 301 South Main Street, the one story building stood on a site where an earlier building had been destroyed during the Battle of Carthage.
The bank expanded as the city grew. A larger two-story building replaced the original in 1884, and in 1890 it was remodeled with a third floor. A portion of the remodeled Bank of Carthage Building would be refaced with rough, red sandstone designed in the Romanesque Architectural Style, while the rest of the building would keep its original facade, designed in the Italianate Architectural Style.
A major renovation in 1909 added marble walls, mahogany stairs, and wood trim. The building housed the bank, storefronts, offices, and a lodge hall for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, though the third floor was removed in 1949 due to structural issues.
After nearly 90 years at the site, the bank moved across 3rd Street to a new building in 1960. The Bank of Carthage later became part of Boatmen’s Bank and eventually Bank of America. Although the Bank of Carthage is no longer, original vaults, woodwork, marble interiors, and the original exterior sign remain.

This image shows the Bank of Carthage building to the left, the Caffee Building center, and the Rose building to the right.
